The erection of a porch on any elevation of a house does not require an application for planning permission provided that:
- Where the house is within a conservation area or is substantially constructed before 1900, the porch is located on an elevation of the house that does not face a highway
- The floor area of the porch does not exceed 3 square metres and the height of the porch does not exceed 3 metres
- The porch is not within 2 metres of a highway
- There is only one porch attached to the house
- The house is not within a site of special significance
This exemption does not apply to a Protected Monument or Protected Building.
This work is not exempt under building regulations and an application for a licence under the building regulations may be required.
Download the full exemption information sheet (including diagrams) from the downloads section