The safety of consumer products is controlled throughout the European Union (EU) and the United Kingdom (UK). Guernsey currently does not have any product safety legislation. If you buy goods from UK or EU businesses it is reasonable to expect that they will meet UK and EU safety standards.
We would expect traders based within the Bailiwick to also take a responsible stance towards product safety and only supply goods that meet the same standards of safety as those in the UK and EU.
Please contact Trading Standards if you find anything you think is dangerous. We offer advice to shop owners and consumers. If we find dangerous goods to be on local sale we always advise shops to follow UK safety standards if they want to give their customers the best possible protection.
It is wise to do your own research before buying. Here are some points to consider when buying all products:
1. Consider where you're buying the goods. Only buy from reputable traders.
2. Is the product appropriate for the intended recipient? Look at age warnings on toys.
3. Does it have a CE mark and details of the manufacturer or importer
Some extra points to consider if you're buying used or second hand goods:
4. Take special care when buying second hand goods.
5. If you're buying something electrical, pay attention to the wires, plug and connectors. Are they frayed, damaged, chipped?
6. Use your own common sense & experience when you're buying anything. Check it over and look for damage.
7. And finally, If you're unsure contact Guernsey Trading Standards.
The CE Mark
Many products carry a stylised CE mark like the one shown in the picture above.
This mark is applied by the manufacturer (or their representative) in order to indicate that they consider the product complies with relevant European safety legislation. However it is not a guarantee that the product is safe.
You can expect to see the CE mark on:
· Mains-powered electrical equipment
· Personal protective equipment (eg hard hats, safety shoes)
· Boats for pleasure use
· Simple machines such as petrol-driven lawnmowers
If you have any queries or have experienced any product safety problems, please feel free to contact Trading Standards, using the contact details in the box below, who will be happy to discuss the matter with you.
Trading Standards ServiceTrading Standards Service Guernsey, Raymond Falla House, PO Box 459, Longue Rue, St Martins, GY1 6AF, Guernsey
Tel: +44 1481 234567 Fax: +44 1481 235015