Environmental pollution is the pollution of the air, land, or water with substances which are damaging to people or to the environment.
This may include air pollution such as fumes or smoke or excessive noise such as live events or neighbourhood parties
It should be noted that issues or concerns about excessive NOISE are dealt with by the Police. Telephone 725111.
If you wish to report an instance of environmental pollution then:
- Take common sense precautions to ensure that you are not in direct contact with the pollution or affected by it (e.g. move or change location, move inside, go to a covered/enclosed venue)
An out of hour's emergency service is provided by the Office of Environmental Health and Pollution Regulation to respond to emergency complaints that occur outside normal office hours. If a complaint is of an urgent nature (i.e. there is imminent or actual risk to human health, ecosystems or the environment) then an Environmental Health Officer can be contacted via the Princess Elizabeth Hospital switchboard system (724251).
- Take a note of what you have seen or experienced and why you think the instance is an example of pollution (e.g. 'there was smoke given off which had bits in it that left permanent marks on my car')
- Record the location, date & time of the event and take a note of any person(s) you see being involved in releasing the pollution into the environment/locality
- As soon as possible - use the contact details provided below to report the event
If the complaint is not of an urgent nature then a message can be left using the contact details below or this number can be used during normal office hours to speak with an Environmental Health Officer.
- If your complaint concerns an incident that is, or has the potential, to pollute the water catchment area then you should contact Guernsey Water on 239500 (24hr Contact Line). This contact number is available at all times. Further information regarding Guernsey Water's services and the water catchment area can be found at http://www.water.gg/.
Guernsey WaterGuernsey Water, PO Box 30, Brickfield House, St Andrew, GY13AS, Guernsey
Tel: +44 1481 239500 Fax: +44 1481 234649