What is Extra Care Housing?
- Extra Care housing gives tenants independence and choice in living their life, with care and support staff available if required. It's for people over 18 years of age whose existing housing may no longer be suitable for their needs and who would be better housed in their own flat with care and support staff on hand to assist them.
- The emphasis in Extra Care Housing is on enabling people to live as independently as possible, with the confidence of being in a secure, safe environment with a flexible, tailored package of care and support offered by trained staff.
- Housing 21 operate an Extra Care Housing Scheme at Rosaire Court, St Peter Port. For more information on that Scheme please contact Sandie White on 739820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There are two Extra Care Housing schemes managed by the Department: La Nouvelle Maraitaine, Vale; and Le Grand Courtil, St Martin. The schemes have a mix of one and two bedroom flats, plus communal facilities including restaurants, lounges, hairdressers, assisted bathing, lifts to all floors, and a staff call system. At Maraitaine there is a self-contained Day Centre for people with dementia.
- The Extra Care Housing flats are a mix of units for sale under the Partial Ownership Scheme, and those which can be rented.
- Extra Care Housing offers:
- Private, self-contained apartments with one or two bedrooms, lounge, kitchen and bathroom.
- Individual terrace or balcony spaces.
- Lifts and easy wheelchair access.
- On site 24-hours, 7 days a week care and support services, provided according to an individual's specific needs.
- A restaurant and other facilities like lounges, hair salon, computer suites, exercise rooms, laundry.
- Opportunities to socialise informally with friends or family, either at home or in the shared public spaces.
- Organised social activities.
- Privacy and independence.
- A safe and secure living environment.
- The emphasis in 'extra care' housing is on providing a community within a community.
Can I apply for Extra Care Housing?
- To be eligible for 'extra care' housing you must be at least 18. In addition, you must:
- Be residentially qualified to live in Guernsey.
- Need an average of at least four hours care and support per week.
- Be living in accommodation which is deemed unsuitable in light of your care and support requirements.
How can I get more information?
- You can get more information on La Nouvelle Maraitaine and Le Grand Courtil by downloading the Extra Care Housing in the Extra Care FAQ Leaflet.
- If you'd like to apply, you can download the application form on this page.
- There are some Fact Sheets available for download on this page which explain in detail the ethos of Extra Care Housing and how it links to our Fit for the Future vision.