The Guernsey Prison serves the public by keeping in custody those committed by the Courts
The Prison's Role
Our duty is to look after prisoners with decency and to help them lead law-abiding lives in custody and after release.
- Protect the public by holding those committed by the courts in a safe, decent, and healthy environment;
- Reduce crime by providing constructive regimes which address offending behaviour, improve educational and work skills and promote law-abiding behaviour in custody and after release.
- Deal fairly and openly with prisoners and all others who come into contact with us;
- Encourage prisoners to address offending behaviour and respect others;
- Value and support each other's contribution;
- Promote equality of opportunity for all, and combat discrimination wherever it occurs;
- Work constructively with criminal justice agencies and other organisations;
- Obtain best value from the resources available.
The Prison's Message
- Prison staff carry out their role in a professional manner which ensures that prisoners are treated with decency and respect.
- Prison and Probation staff work with prisoners to reduce the risk of them re-offending in order to prevent the next victim;
- We treat prisoners fairly and must ensure decisions are taken lawfully with due account to their rights under the Human Rights (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2000;
- A wide range of staff work in the Prison and the Prison itself works in partnership with other criminal justice agencies and voluntary sector partners;
- The Prison is subject to independent inspection by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP) and regular monitoring by the Independent Monitoring Panel (IMP), to whom prisoners can make complaints;
- The Prison welcomes this degree of scrutiny which ensures that what we do is always visible and checked on by people who are independent of the prison.
The overriding motivation of all our work is to protect the public and provide a safe environment in which staff can work and prisoners can live, aim to reduce offending behaviour.
What we aim to achieve
To provide a working prison that enables prisoners to gain work skills, learning skills, and qualifications, to help reduce re-offending and provide a secure environment to protect the public, ensuring value for money whilst treating people decently and fairly.
Statement of Purpose
Guernsey Prison serves the public by keeping in custody those committed by lawful authority. Our duty is to look after them with decency and help them live law abiding lives in custody and after release.
Document downloadsGuernsey Prison Annual Report 2014 Prison Annual Report Guernsey Prison Business Plan 2015 Prison Business Plan Prison (Enabling Provisions) (Guernsey) Law, 2010 Law Prison (Guernsey) Ordinance, 2013 Ordinance Prison (Guernsey) Regulations, 2013 Regulations
Guernsey PrisonLes Nicolles, St Sampsons, GY2 4YF, Guernsey
Tel: 44 1481 248376 Fax: 44 1481 247837