Wednesday 01 November 2023
Health & Social Care services are implementing a range of measures in preparation for Storm Ciaran.
Services will be impacted across HSC on Thursday.
The key information for service users and patients is as follows:
- All non-emergency surgery postponed for Thursday (including all Day Patient Unit activity).
- All outpatient clinics cancelled for Thursday.
- Islanders are advised against visiting patients in hospital for during the severe storm weather.
The Emergency Department will be operating as normal.
Maternity and Paediatrics
- All clinics for Thursday have been cancelled or re-arranged.
- Wards will be staffed as normal for anyone that needs to attend in an emergency. Doctors will be resident on site for the duration of the storm.
- Only essential home visits will be carried out.
- All offices will be closed on Thursday and staff will be working remotely.
- Switchboard will be diverted to a voicemail message with the MASH duty number to contact in the event of safeguarding enquiries.
- All planned visits to children and families on Thursday will be cancelled and re-arranged.
- All clinics will be cancelled on Thursday and will be rearranged.
- Kindred Children's Centre will be closed on Thursday.
- All children and family contact sessions at Swissville will be cancelled on Thursday and re-arranged.
- All therapy sessions with the Reparative Care Team will be cancelled on Thursday and re-arranged.
Adult Disability Services and Specialist Mental Health
- All non-urgent clinics, appointments and visits across both Adult Disability Services and Specialist Mental Health services will be cancelled on Thursday.
- A skeleton staff team will be on duty who will be available to assess and manage any crisis situations.
- Recovery and Wellbeing, The Willows, Therapy and Enablement will all be closed on Thursday.
- Both learning disability and autism outreach will be providing a limited service based on the level of risk.
We would advise visitors to the Oberlands and Light House wards to remain at home for their own safety, until the storm calms.
Adult Community Health and Social Care
- Day patient appointments for Bulstrode, Pain service, and Diabetes have been cancelled on Thursday and will be re-arranged.
- Extra Care Facilities; staff rotas have been developed to limit them having to travel between the three sites across the island. All but essential visits will be cancelled.
- For Community Nursing, including District Nurses (including night service) and Rapid Response, all but essential calls are cancelled. There are 21 essential calls on Thursday morning and these will continue.
- For the domiciliary care service, all but essential calls are cancelled. There are 60 essential calls but most will be re-arranged for later on Thursday.
Social Workers, admin staff, Community Disability Team and Specialist Nurses will work from home, with any cancelled appointments rearranged.
- Clinics and visits for School Nursing, Health Visiting and Children's Community Nursing will be cancelled for Thursday and rescheduled for a time convenient for the service user. Service Users will be able to contact their named professional via phone or email as is the standard process.
- The Vaccine Call Centre will be closed on Thursday. Some Primary Care practice have cancelled their clinics and the teams are working to contact all individuals booked in and reschedule their appointments.
- The Orchard Clinic will be closed.
- Healthy Minds is rescheduling appointments for those who would prefer this or continuing with appointments via electronic means.
Out of hours service for Primary Care (GPs)
- A remote service will be offered with in-person attendance judged on a case-by-case basis based on risk.
Medical Specialist Group
- The MSG will close on Thursday. All appointments will be rescheduled or held remotely if possible, and MSG staff will be in touch to inform any affected patients.