Thursday 15 June 2023
La Houguette Primary School has received a very positive external inspection report.
The school has been rated as 'good' in all five categories of the inspection framework. These are: The Quality of Education; Behaviour and Attitudes; Personal Development and Welfare; Leadership and Management; and Early Years provision.
Ofsted's report highlights that:
- Children are at the centre of this safe, caring and inclusive school. Safeguarding is effective.
- Pupils say they are proud to attend La Houguette. Children are well-mannered, thoughtful and show concern for others.
- Leaders share with staff their high aspirations for all pupils. Staff value highly the leadership of the headteacher. Staff recognise her determination for everyone to succeed.
- Leaders prioritise reading, the mathematics curriculum is clearly sequenced to support leaders to build knowledge over time, and leaders have worked diligently to plan for most subjects in the wider curriculum.
- Parents and carers are overwhelmingly positive about the school.
Inspectors identified only two areas where the school could improve. These were for leaders to ensure teachers are clear across all subjects about the content they want pupils to learn, and that teachers' use of assessments are precise enough to check what pupils know and understand.
Claire Judd, La Houguette Primary School Headteacher, said:
'Everyone at our school is delighted to have been rated by inspectors as good in all five categories. It is fantastic for the whole school community as achieving that kind of consistency across the wide-ranging categories is challenging but well deserved, thanks to everyone's hard work. I want to thank our staff for their continued dedication, our parents for their overwhelming support and our amazing pupils who make us very proud every day. We will continue striving to make La Houguette the best it can be.'
Nick Hynes, Director of Education, said:
'This inspection report is a credit to Claire and all colleagues at La Houguette. Achieving good ratings in each of the five categories is very challenging and something the school community should rightly be proud of. La Houguette is a tight-knit school community and it was heartening to see this clearly come through in the inspection report. I have every confidence that Claire and her team will continue to improve delivery across the board for the benefit of their learners.'
Deputy Andrea Dudley-Owen, President of the Committee for Education, Sport & Culture, said:
'On behalf of the Committee I want to congratulate Claire and the whole La Houguette School community. One of our Education Strategy's four priorities is to deliver high quality learning and excellent outcomes, and we are committed to external inspections as we recognise they play a crucial role in both validating good practice and identifying where improvements can be made. Striving for continual improvement is a key part of the culture throughout education, and the consistency demonstrated at La Houguette across the five inspected categories is very impressive.'
The full report can be read at Inspections - States of Guernsey (gov.gg).