Tuesday 05 September 2023
The 'School Street' scheme near St Martin's Primary School will remain in place for the next 12 months for an official trial to take place on La Route des Coutures.
This follows an initial trial period which took place towards the end of the previous school year which was instigated by pupils at the school who were concerned about safety risks during drop-off and pick-up times.
The official trial will start on Wednesday 6th September with La Route des Coutures closed to traffic (except for cyclists, vehicles accessing their properties and emergency vehicles) on weekdays from 8.30am-9am and from 2.45pm-3.15pm.
Clare Giles, St Martin's Primary School Headteacher, said:
"We are delighted to hear that our school street will remain in place for the next academic year. There was strong support for the initial trial that we carried out and I'm sure that this longer-term arrangement will be welcomed by many of our children and the wider school community.
"This also shows our children that they have a voice and are able to engage in matters that affect them, allowing them to be part of bringing forward a really positive solution."
Paul James, Road Safety Officer, said:
"We were really pleased to work with St Martin's Primary School earlier this year to address pupils' concerns around safety. La Route des Coutures is a narrow road with very little space for those who are walking or cycling.
"Having had a successful initial short-term trial earlier this year, it's good to be able to take this forward to monitor how this might work in the longer term. However, we are confident that this school street will continue to improve safety for children and their carers."