Friday 20 October 2023
To facilitate major infrastructure projects and other work carried out by utilities, there will be several road closures in place on major roads during half-term.
During peak times, traffic delays are expected around the Rohais area where Guernsey Electricity is installing a new 33kV cable, Sure is continuing the roll-out of fibre and urgent works are required to remove trees in Les Gravees, with the latter only permitted during school holidays.
Those travelling on foot or by bicycle can often travel through works areas, if done with care. Those who are driving are encouraged to look at roadworks.gov.gg, to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journey. Those who normally drive are also asked to consider using public transport, car sharing, walking or cycling.
The following works will be taking place next week:
- Rue Piette/Rue du Tertre junction, St Andrew - This is an ongoing road closure as contractors working for Sure continue fibre installation towards Rectory Hill. There is a diversion in both directions via Mount Row, Kings Road and Rohais.
- Rohais de Bas followed by Rohais de Bas/Rohais de Haut junction, St Andrew - This is an ongoing road closure of Rohais de Bas that will be followed by a three-day junction closure from Friday 27th October for installation of the new 33kV cable. There is a diversion for the junction closure in both directions via Collings Road, Les Ozouets and Footes Lane.
- Les Gravees, St Peter Port - There will be a road closure between St Stephen's Hill and York Avenue from Monday 23rd October to Thursday 26th October for removal of trees and a roadside wall. The westbound diversion will be via Les Gravees du Sud, Stanley Road and York Avenue, with the eastbound diversion via Gibauderie, Brock Road and Doyle Road.
- Brock Road, St Peter Port - There is an ongoing road closure until Friday 8th December to facilitate upgraded electricity supplies for a residential development.
- Grande Rue, St Martins - There will be a road closure between Les Camps and La Vequesse from Monday 23rd October to Friday 27th October for surfacing of a private driveway. Roadworks policy requires that, where practical, work near schools should be carried out during school holidays. There will be a diversion in both directions via Fort Road, Ruette Brayes and Rue Poudreuse.
- La Brigade, St Andrew - There will be a road closure between Le Vauquiedor and Rue de la Corbinerie from Friday 27th October to Friday 3rd November. There will be a diversion in both directions via Rue Cauchez, Ville au Roi and Le Vauquiedor.
- Grand Fort Road, St Sampson - There will be a road closure between Grand Fort Road and Hougues Magues Lane between Wednesday 25th October and Friday 27th October for installation of an electrical supply.
Phil Ogier, Manager - Roads & Traffic Management, said:
"The island continues to have a large number of key infrastructure improvement projects to deliver meaning that recently it has been a busy time for roadworks, particularly to the west of town with important long-term projects being undertaken by Sure and Guernsey Electricity. It is a real challenge to facilitate these works whilst enabling other more routine projects such as servicing of important housing development sites, removing hazardous trees before the winter, and enabling maintenance of sewers by a visiting contractor."
"We know there is a balance to be struck between making our journeys as convenient as possible whilst ensuring important works to benefit us can be delivered within reasonable timeframes. We'd like to thank people in advance for their patience and ask people to plan ahead and consider using other modes of transport if you normally drive."