The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconCloudy with occasional rain and drizzle, perhaps persistent and heavy at times.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Advice for motorists driving abroad

Share this page

Thursday 07 March 2019

Driver and Vehicle Licensing wish to advise the public of a number of changes to the requirements for driving abroad that will come into force when the UN Convention on Road Traffic 1968 ("the Vienna Convention") is formally ratified on the Island's behalf by the United Nations on 29th March 2019

International Driving Permits (IDPs)

An IDP is a translation of driving entitlement that guarantees entitlement to drive abroad if carried together with a valid domestic issued driving licence.

As from 29th March 2019 a 1968 (Vienna Convention) IDP will be issued for driving in most EU / EEA countries with the following exceptions:

An IDP is not required for driving in the UK, Ireland, Switzerland, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

In some cases you may need more than one IDP. For example, if driving to Spain through France then you will need both a 1968 and a 1949 IDP.

Future requirements for IDPs may change, particularly if the UK negotiates mutual recognition of driving licences as part of any withdrawal agreement with the EU or it reaches agreements with individual EU Member States prior to Brexit and Guernsey forms part of that agreement.

However, in order to avoid any potential difficulties when driving abroad it is recommended that the relevant IDP(s) are obtained prior to travelling. IDPs can be obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office at Bulwer Avenue. The application form can be downloaded here.

A completed and signed application form together with a passport sized photo and payment of £13 is required for each IDP. For more detailed information please refer to the following Public Advice Note which is available online.

Trailer Registration

From 29th March 2019, the following trailers towed in Europe and beyond (excluding the UK and Jersey) must be registered:

A 'non-commercial' trailer (such as a horse box or caravan) with a maximum gross weight between 750 kg and 3,500 kg can be voluntarily registered for journeys to / through Europe. This option will provide peace of mind for people who want to hold official documents when towing abroad.

Registered trailers will be issued with a Vehicle Registration Certificate which should be carried when the trailer is being towed abroad. It will also be necessary to display a unique registration number prefixed with a "T" on all registered trailers.

Trailer registrations will be issued from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office at Bulwer Avenue. The application form can be downloaded here.

For more detailed advice on trailer registration requirements please refer to the Public Advice Note which is available online here.

Share this page

Useful Pages

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.