Overseas Aid & Development Committee - P.2019/44
The States are asked to decide:-
Whether, after consideration of the Policy Letter entitled "Our Place in the World: the next ten years of overseas aid in Guernsey" (dated 24th May 2019) they are of the opinion to agree:-
1. The proposed future structure of overseas aid as set out in Table 3, paragraph 10.6, of the policy letter;
2. That, in 2020 and 2021, the funding allocated to the Overseas Aid & Development Commission should be increased by inflation only, and to direct the Policy & Resources Committee to take this into account when recommending Cash Limits as part of the annual Budget Report;
3. That the States of Guernsey should adopt a target for its overseas aid giving of 0.2% of GDP by 2030, and to direct the Policy & Resources Committee to include a strategy to achieve this target within the Medium Term Financial Plans spanning the period 2022 to 2029;
4. That, until such time as Guernsey's overseas aid giving reaches 0.2% of GDP, consideration should be given to allocating a proportion of any annual surpluses achieved by the States of Guernsey in excess of that budgeted towards overseas aid, and to direct the Policy & Resources Committee to include proposals to that effect in successive States' Budgets in the event of such a surplus;
5. That the Commission's mandate, as set out in the Rules of Procedure of the States of Deliberation and their Committees, should be amended by the deletion of: "to carry out the duties and powers above in accordance with policies set out by the Policy & Resources Committee" and the substitution therefor of: "to carry out its duties and powers in accordance with operational policies approved by the Policy & Resources Committee, and the strategic direction set by the States".
The above Propositions have been submitted to Her Majesty's Procureur for advice on any legal or constitutional implications in accordance with Rule 4(1) of the Rules of Procedure of the States of Deliberation and their Committees.