Monday 16 March 2020
The Director of Public Health is issuing advice for people preparing to attend events in the Bailiwick and to event organisers, as efforts continue to protect the community from the spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19.
Dr Nicola Brink said that all advice already issued has also informed the current position taken on events. This includes recommending:
- Increasing restrictions on travel
- Guidance on social distancing;
- Advice for the over-65s; and
- Guidance on healthcare environments.
People attending local events should consider the likely number of attendees, whether it will be possible to maintain social distancing, and whether it allows for good hygiene to be maintained.
In particular, over-65s, or those with underlying health conditions, should consider very carefully whether to attend events, given they are more vulnerable. More information is available on https://gov.gg/covid19guidance.
If you remain unsure or anxious about attending an event or gathering check out all the relevant advice which can be found at https://gov.gg/coronavirus.
Event organisers should also consider how they can reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus, and where possible they should look at ways of supporting social distancing, good hand hygiene, or, if appropriate, allowing people to attend remotely.
Advice is being provided to help event organisers to make risk assessments and decisions. If you believe your event is high risk and you cannot make adjustments, you should consider cancelling.
If events are still in the planning stage and can be deferred, we recommend this be considered as it is difficult to forecast the position over the coming weeks.
The States of Guernsey is not putting specific limitations on public or private events at this time, nor banning mass gatherings. This is felt to be proportionate at this stage provided Islanders continue to observe the broader advice in other areas such as travel and social distancing.
Dr Nicola Brink, Director of Public Health said:
"Public Health believes that this is a proportionate approach while we remain in the 'containment phase' and will review as the Bailiwick's position on Covid-19 changes. We will continue to work with the community, which is responding positively to the advice, which is hugely appreciated. Those attending and those organising events are asked to review advice and evaluate risks to themselves, family, friends and the wider public."
Islanders are not being advised to avoid school, pre-school or work which are considered essential but the direction remains to self-isolate if you have or develop any respiratory condition, a cough or cold.
Please visit the self-isolation information on https://gov.gg/coronavirus.
Jason Moriarty, Chair of the Strategic Co-Ordinating Group said:
'We realise there has been a lot of updated advice for Islanders which is affecting many aspects of normal life. We really appreciate the support everyone has shown so far as we pull together to minimise the impact of COVID-19 on our community. This advice, guided by our Public Health Services, is part of our ongoing response which we are having to review constantly.
Internationally the situation is changing rapidly, and all countries are frequently updating their guidance. The advice issued has been prepared with Public Health specifically with our Bailiwick's unique circumstances and infrastructure in mind. Our advice will be updated if the situation changes - Public Health will review the status in the next 14 days, or earlier if necessary.'