The new model will bring widespread benefits and new opportunities to the Bailiwick's community.
The benefits of the three 11-16 schools
- The model creates three evenly sized 11-16 schools with six forms of entry per year group. After the peak, numbers of students on each site will be approximately 630, in line with staff views of the preferred numbers of students in our secondary schools.
- Creating three evenly sized schools will ensure curriculum equity across the three 11-16 schools and the numbers on each site also allow for the delivery of a broad and balanced curriculum in each school.
- Relocating the Sixth Form Centre enables Les Varendes site to be a more acceptable size for the number of students it will be accommodating. Keeping Sixth Form students on the same site would mean a site with approximately 1,000 students for several years. We know that schools of this size would be contrary to the feedback from Guernsey's education profession and not in keeping with the community's views around large schools.
- The three 11-16 schools will have space to grow should the projected population decline be reversed which means that taxpayers' money will not need to be spent on enlarging sites in the future.
- Creating three 11-16 schools means that all young people are able to transition together into a new purpose built post 16 campus, regardless of their chosen study pathway, which supports one of the key strands of the education strategy around inclusivity.
The benefits of the Post-16 Campus at Les Ozouets
The new single Post-16 Campus at Les Ozouets will provide parity for all Post-16 study pathways by:
- Affording equal value and esteem to all students pursuing academic, technical, professional and vocational qualifications, which reflects the value of all qualifications in a changing world of work
- Creating new educational opportunities, further developing blended learning pathways in line with the emerging needs of employers in the Bailiwick
- Recognising and promoting the increasing maturity of Post-16 students, with all learners standing shoulder-to-shoulder in an adult environment
- Delivering an enhanced comprehensive Post-16 offering for individuals across Guernsey, which builds on the comprehensive and inclusive nature of our education system from pre-school to post 16