Be Active is a community response to promoting physical wellbeing and leading active lives among young people in Guernsey.
As part of the Be Active initiative, public sector and private/ voluntary organisations will be launching a number of initiatives and activities that are responses to the prominent role that increasing physical activity levels and leading active lives play in the recently agreed Children and Young People's Plan (CYPP) and Healthy Weight Strategy. Both policies have set challenging and exciting targets that will impact significantly on the lives of Guernsey young people.
The CYPP, for example, commits to the following Healthy and Active outcome:
We want children and young people to have the highest possible standards of physical and emotional health and to lead active lives that promote their long-term health.
Presentations, infographics and other supporting information from the Be Active Training Day are available to download from this page.
Specsavers founder, Dame Mary Perkins, has also thrown her support behind the initiative.
Formation of the Be Active Forum
- It is widely accepted that there is no single response to the challenge of making young people healthy and active. The whole community, including families, schools, health professionals, schools, sport and youth organisations, has a role to play and it is widely acknowledged that they can respond most effectively to these challenges by working together to create opportunities for young people to cease being sedentary and to be more active. The Bailiwick is well placed to increase the levels of activity of all young people. We are starting from a base where many children and young people are fully engaged with a variety of activities that and are well provided by a wide range of organisations.
- However those organisations that support children and young people recognise that they need to work together in a coherent, coordinated fashion and therefore it is proposed that a Being Active Forum is established. This Forum will meet three to four times per year and will have involvement from bodies that work with children and young people . The focus of the Forum will be:
- To increase the levels of activity of young people in Guernsey and Alderney by:
- Overseeing an annual work plan which draws together existing and new initiatives that are undertaken to support young people in Guernsey.
- Monitoring progress of the Being Active key indicators.
- Sharing good practice and ensuring communication regarding the opportunities available to young people in Guernsey
- Identifying areas where intervention will make the most impact
- Reducing the levels of sedentary behaviour amongst young people in Guernsey and Alderney.
As part of the Be Active initiative Dr Piers Mitchell has produce a video about the importance of sleep to ensure a healthy and active lifestyle. You can watch the video here.
Find out more about The Daily Mile which many of our schools are taking up.