Family allowance is a weekly tax free benefit payable to people living in Guernsey and Alderney who are bringing up children. It does not depend on how much money you have coming in, or any savings you may have.
You can apply for family allowance if you are responsible for a child who lives with you. You can also apply for the allowance if the child lives with someone else, and:
- You are paying money to bring up the child
- The amount you pay is the same as, or more than the weekly rate of family allowance
- The person the child lives with is not getting family allowance for them
How much will I get?
- Family allowance is paid at the same rate for each child in your family. The current rate is set out in the Benefit Payment and Contribution Rates leaflet (Leaflet 50), which is provided together with the Family Allowance leaflet (FAM 1) in the downloads section.
Who can the allowance be paid for?
- Family allowance is paid for a child who is:
- under school leaving age, or
- 19 or under and still in full-time education at school, college or university.
- Family allowance will only be paid once for a child. Any person who is responsible for that child can claim the allowance, although, it is usually claimed by the person who has day to day care of the child. Before deciding who should claim, please read the information on "What happens to my Social Security contributions while I'm claiming?" on page 8 of the Family Allowance (FAM1) leaflet, provided in the downloads section.
- In order to make the claim, you should fill in a Family allowance claim form (FAM12) which is provided for printing from the downloads section. You can also request this form by post from Social Security or from the States Office in Alderney.
Health Benefit Card
- The same Family allowance claim form (FAM12) is also used to obtain a Health Benefit card for your child. More information about Health Benefits, including grants for doctor and nurse consultations provided by the States of Guernsey can be found on the "Sickness and injury benefits" page in the Useful Pages section.