Information and public services for the Island of Guernsey



Channel Islands Christmas Lottery First Prize Update
Wednesday 13 December 2017

The guaranteed first prize in this year's Channel Islands Christmas Lottery has now risen to £950,000.

Read more
Community Hubs crucial part of HSC's transformation plans
Tuesday 12 December 2017

Supporting the delivery of effective community care is one of the key aims underpinning the proposed transformation of health and care services, the President of the Committee for Health and Social Care has said.

Read more
Guernsey Armed Forces Covenant to be signed
Monday 11 December 2017

At 2.30pm tomorrow, Tuesday 12th December, the Guernsey Armed Forces Covenant will be signed by the Lt-Governor, the Bailiff and the President, Policy & Resources Committee on behalf of the people of Guernsey.

Read more All News
Coming soon – a map of events, hazards and other useful information
weather iconRather cloudy with squally rain or hail showers becoming isolated overnight. Risk of thunder.
5 day forecastTide timetables
weather iconRather cloudy with squally rain or hail showers becoming isolated overnight. Risk of thunder.
5 day forecastTide timetables


Commodore Goodwill Jersey/Portsmouth 07:30  


ChannelChief  CANCELLED07:30  
All arrivals and departures Shipping forecast


Mail/Newspapers06:302017-12-14MailNPT22GExpected 0700


Aurigny08:302017-12-14GatwickGR602CANCELLED - Call 822886 - space on GR600 @ 07:00
All arrivals and departures
Sign In

Family allowance

Contact Us - Social Security

Share this page

Family allowance is a weekly tax free benefit payable to people living in Guernsey and Alderney who are bringing up children. It does not depend on how much money you have coming in, or any savings you may have.

You can apply for family allowance if you are responsible for a child who lives with you. You can also apply for the allowance if the child lives with someone else, but:
- You are paying money to bring up the child
- The amount you pay is the same as, or more than the weekly rate of family allowance
- The person the child lives with is not getting family allowance for them

  • How much will I get?

    • Family allowance is paid at the same rate for each child in your family. The current rate is set out in the Benefit Payment and Contribution Rates leaflet (Leaflet 50), which is provided together with the Family Allowance leaflet (FAM 1) in the downloads section.
  • Who can the allowance be paid for?

    • Family allowance is paid for a child who is:
      • under school leaving age, or
      • 19 or under and still in full-time education at school, college or university.
    • Family allowance will only be paid once for a child. Any person who is responsible for that child can claim the allowance, although, it is usually claimed by the person who has day to day care of the child. Before deciding who should claim, please read the information on "What happens about my insurance record while I'm getting Family Allowance?" in the Family Allowance (FAM1) leaflet, provided in the downloads section.
    • In order to make the claim, you should fill in a claim form (FAM12) which is provided for printing from the downloads section. You can also request this form by post from Social Security or from the States Office in Alderney.
  • Health Benefit Card

    • The same form (FAM12) is also used to obtain a Health Benefit card for your child. More information about health benefits provided by the States of Guernsey can be found on the "Sickness and injury benefits"  page in the Useful Pages section.




Family Allowance - Leaflet FAM 1 Family allowance claim form Benefit Payment & Contribution Rates - Leaflet 50

Share this page

Useful Pages

Useful Links

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.