Guernsey operates a Code of Practice for access to public information. You can find the Code of Practice and details of how it works on this page.
Should you have any queries in relation to applying the Code of Practice or if there is any issue not referred to on this page, please email email@example.com.
What is the Code of Practice for Access to Public Information?
- In July 2013, the States of Guernsey agreed the Code of Practice on Access to Public Information [533kb] and adopted the following core principles:
- A presumption of disclosure
- A corporate approach
- A culture of openness
- Pro-active publication
- Effective record management
- Like all governments, notwithstanding the presumption of disclosure in the balance of the public interest, the States of Guernsey will need to keep some information confidential, and it has a duty to protect the proper privacy of those it concerns.
- The Code of Practice describes the exceptions that should be applied to the presumption of disclosure in order to meet these duties and protect Guernsey's legal, commercial, competitive or public interests. The exceptions can be applied to a document as a whole or to part of a document through redaction of information.
How do I apply for information under the Code of Practice for Access to Public Information?
- The Code of Practice applies to all States of Guernsey Committees and service areas and can be applied to all requests for information. Requests should be made in writing and should expressly state that the information is being requested under the "Code of Practice for Access to Public Information". The request should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can send a request by post to:
- Information Requests
Office of the Policy & Resources Committee
Sir Charles Frossard House
St Peter Port
- The Code of Practice is not designed to replace the handling of routine requests, where those requests can be dealt with simply and quickly by communication through a telephone call, email or in a face-to-face meeting.
- The request should be made in clear simple language. The requestor should consider how broad the request is and seek to limit the question to focus on the information required. This limits the use of staff resources on accessing information that is not necessary.
- The request should include the requestor's contact address and details so that the relevant section can discuss the matter with the requestor if necessary to clarify the request and ensure that it is clear where the response should be sent.
- The relevant section will seek to respond to the requestor with the information within 20 working days. Alternatively if one of the exceptions is being applied, the reasons why information has been withheld should be given. If it is not possible to respond within 20 working days an explanation should be given as to why there will be a delay in responding to the request.
- If the requestor is not content with the response they may ask for the matter to be considered by the relevant political committee. If the requestor is still not content with the request they may ask for the matter to be referred to the Policy & Resources Committee for consideration.
- This mechanism for requesting does not replace the process of applying for information under the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2002. Guidance on data protection in Guernsey can be found here.
How do I respond to Access to Public Information requests?
- If you work for the States of Guernsey and have received an Access to Public Information request, you can find guidance on how to respond to the request API Code of Practice Guidance [712kb].
- In July 2013, the States agreed that:
- "Every Department and Committee [were] to publish details (namely the title of the report, who it is commissioned by and from and date of commission) of all reports commissioned by the Department or Committee within six months of that report being commissioned, unless the publication of such detail would fall within one of the exceptions from disclosure set out in the Code of Practice on Access to Public Information."
- A list of the reports commissioned up to February 2017 are available to download on this page.
Requests and Responses
- 27 - 09 - 17 - Request for guidelines on the treatment of Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- 25 - 09 - 17 - Request for information relating to the recruitment of nurses directly employed by HSC in 2016
- 11 - 09 - 17 - Request for information relating to the reimbursement of medicinal drugs and devices prescribed by GP practices in Guernsey
- 22 - 08 - 17 - Request for direct recruitment costs for the Princess Elizabeth & Mignot Memorial Hospitals
- 16 - 08 - 17 - Request for Traffic Management Information in relation to the Clearview Case Study
- 14 - 08 - 17 - Request for detailed data on pension investments
- 10 - 08 - 17 - Media request for survey results of the Wellbeing Survey, Les Beaucamps High School
- 09 - 08 - 17 - Media request for the cost of reports from external companies/consultants over the last three years.
- 04 - 08 - 17 - Request for costs of reports commissioned by the Committee for Economic Development 2016 - 2020
- 04 - 08 - 17 - Request for costs of reports commissioned by the Committee for Health and Social Care 2016 - 2020
- 04 - 08 - 17 - Request for costs of reports commissioned by the Committee for Education, Sport & Culture 2016 - 2020
- 04 - 08 - 17 - Request for costs of reports commissioned by the Policy & Resources Committee 2016 - 2020
- 04 - 08 - 17 - Request for costs of reports commissioned by the States Trading Supervisory Board 2016 - 2020
- 04 - 08 - 17 - Request for costs of reports commissioned by the Committee for Environment & Infrastructure 2016 - 2020
- 31 - 07 - 17 - Request for cost of PwC report on benchmarking of CfESC and CfHA
- 26 - 07 - 17 - Request for a copy of the 2008 report in regards to the resuscitation of newborn infants at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital
- 23 - 07 - 17 - Request for numbers of 11+ special places holders turned down
- 28 - 06 - 17 - Media request following unanswered questions put to the Committee via a media request, on reasoning behind the decision not to amalgamate Fire and Ambulance
- 23 - 06 - 17 - Media request regarding £1.5m budget earmarked for backlog property maintenance
- 22 - 06 - 17 - Request about replacement of social care management system
- 19 - 05 - 17 - Request for all locations of fire hydrants
- 05 - 05 - 17 - Request for copy of communication between Committee and Douzaines regarding referendum on island-wide voting
- 24 - 04 - 17 - Request for information on pharmacy staffing
- 30 - 03 - 17 - Request for cost of the PwC report on island's insurance sector
- 27 - 02 - 17 - Request to Social Security: Total expenditure, number of employees and buildings used
- 10 - 02 - 17 - Request for copy of annual financial statements of James Co year ending 31 Dec 2015
- 13 - 02 - 17 - Request for details on elections in Guernsey
- 27 - 01 - 17 - Request to the Fire & Rescue Service under the Incident Recording System
- 24 - 01 - 17 - Request for information on bag sealing for clinical waste and who currently supplies the services
- 16 - 01 - 17 - Request for number of employees working for the States of Guernsey
- 24 - 12 - 16 - Request regarding overnight obstetricians/gynaecology cover to the Loveridge Ward; the Obstetrician/gynaecologist on-call system in Loveridge Ward; and related patient safety findings/recommendations
- 15 - 12 - 16 - Request for information on the acceptance of Syrian Refugees
- 11 - 12 - 16 - Media request for number of requests under TIEAs in 2007
- 28 - 11 - 16 - Request for copy of model put in place by the Bond Management Sub-Committee to ensure Bond issue can be fully serviced
- 25 - 11 - 16 - Request for Cabernet Ltd's financial statements in 2010 and 2012
- 25 - 11 - 16 - Request for budgeted profitability and cash flows for Cabernet Ltd
- 16 - 11 - 16 - Request for information on expenditure, employees etc of HSC
- 19 - 10 - 16 - Media request to the Scrutiny Committee to release letter
- 13 - 09 - 16 - Request regarding TETRA communications network to EE mobile network
- 10 - 08 - 16 - Request regarding the salary and benefits of the Chief Fire Officer
- 08 - 07 - 16 - Request regarding pay scales
- 07 - 07 - 16 - Request regarding the new build at La Mare De Carteret High School
- 31 - 05 - 16 - Media request for an un redacted version of Pfos advisory report
- 03 - 05 - 16 - Request regarding case file for ELAINE ANTOINETTE PARENT
- 23 - 03 - 16 - Request for statistics on abuse cases relating to an older person
- 27 - 11 - 15 - Media request regarding cesspit emptying spillages
- 03 - 11 - 15 - Request for statistics on medical cannabis
- 27 - 10 - 15 - Media request for Access to Public Information requests
- 27 - 10 - 15 - Media request for information on the airport rehabilitation project and harbour berths
- 03 - 09 - 15 - Request regarding TV licence evasion
- 21 - 08 - 15 - Media request for information on tea and biscuits and taxi drivers
- 21 - 08 - 15 - Media request for information on emergency planning for an alien attack / terrorism
- 21 - 08 - 15 - Request to HSC for statistics on child protection referrals within a sport/leisure setting
- 21 - 08 - 15 - Request to Home Affairs for statistics on child protection referrals within a sport/leisure setting
- 21 - 07 - 15 - Media request for information on cruise tender berthing
- 01 - 06- 15 - Media request for statistics on the confiscation of alcohol of under 18s
- 11 - 05 - 15 - Media request for information on food waste processing
- 11 - 05 - 15 - Media request for FTP reports to PAC and FTP reports to Policy Council
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q1 - January to March 2013)
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q2 - April to June 2013)
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q3 - July to September 2013)
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q4 - October to December 2013)
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q1 - January to March 2014)
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q2 - April to June 2014)
- Briefing Paper: Quarterly PAC report (Q3 - July to September 2014)
- Policy Council memorandum to Chief Minister and Members of the Policy Council - FTP portfolio definition and base lining, February 2013
- Policy Council memorandum to Chief Minister and Members of the Policy Council - FTP: Savings from Higher Education Grant Funding, April 2013
- Policy Council memorandum to Chief Minister and Members of the Policy Council - Proposed transfer of service delivery costs from HSSD general revenue to social security fund, July 2013
- HSSD visiting consultants project - FTP savings £650,000 April 2014
- 28 - 02 -15 - Request for information on bus vehicle working
- 18 - 12 - 14 - Request for statistics regarding arrests
- 24 - 11 - 14 - Request for statistics on self-harm
- 03 - 11 -14 - Media request for cost of contact with Orchard PR for the MyHarbours project
- 14 - 10 -14 - Request for information relating to firefighting foam
- 08 - 10 - 14 - Media rrequest for PR expenditure by Department
- 30 - 09 - 14 - Request to Public Accounts Committee regarding FTP reports
- 18 - 09 - 14 - Request for statistics on under 18 pregnancies in Guernsey
- 16 - 09 - 14 - Request for information on travel expenses
- 22 - 08 - 14 - Media request for FTP reports to the Policy Council
- 22 - 08 - 14 - Media request for information on hydrotherapy pools
- 19 - 08 - 14 - Request with regard to a CT Plus contract dispute
- 15 - 07 - 14 - Media request for information on air pollution levels
- 23 - 04 - 14 - Request regarding noise abatement
- 07 - 04 - 14 - Request regarding Enteral nutrition contract
- 25 - 03 - 14 - Media request for figures surrounding Les Beaucamps High School attendance