The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconRather cloudy, some fair or sunny intervals this afternoon and this evening, with the risk of a little light rain or drizzle.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

Liquor Licences

Contact Us - Liquor Licensing Officer

Share this page

The Office of the Committee for Home Affairs is responsible for regulating liquor licensing legislation within Guernsey and Herm. The sale and supply of alcohol in Guernsey and Herm is regulated by the Liquor Licensing (Guernsey) Ordinance, 2006.

It is an offence under The Ordinance for a person to sell intoxicating liquor unless they hold a licence. An application can be made by an individual, a limited liability company, a club or an association.

If you have concerns about a licensed premises, or wish to complain about a licensed premise, please contact the Guernsey Police on 01481 725111.

For all general queries about liquor licensing in Guernsey and Herm, please contact the Business Support Assistant on 01481 717371. Alternatively you can email

  • How to apply for a Liquor Licence

    • New Licensed Premises, Change of Designated Official
    • All application for a change of Designated Official, new licensee, new licensed premises or alterations can be presented to the Tuesday Court at 9.45am (applicants need to arrive for 9.30am) without the need to employ an advocate. This is for all the unopposed, straightforward applications.
    • As a result, the applicant will be in charge of contacting the Business Support Officer with the fully filled application with the relevant fees (we can assist you with those) but they are listed in the document named 'Liquor Licence application check' and the applicant will also need to send a copy of the application to the Parish Constables.
    • Before making application, we advise you to contact the Business Support Assistant, or 01481717371
    • Applications to extend an existing licence to cover additional locations or additional hours
    • If you are already in charge of a licence and wish to apply to extend your licence to cover an unlicensed location, or to extend your hours, you will need to attend Court for the application to be heard. These applications are made under Section 19 of the Ordinance and you are advised to read this section of the Ordinance. You will not need to be represented by an advocate in these cases but will need to attend court. The court sits every Tuesday morning at 9.30am to hear these applications. To apply, please complete the  online form  with a supporting letter and relevant plans (if needed).
    • A copy of your application together with the relevant fee will also need to be sent to the Constables of the Parish in which the extension is to be exercised.
    • Please note that there is a fee attached to those applications.
    • Applications for "Occasional Licences" to support fundraising activities
    • If you are raising funds for a society or charitable purpose and wish to sell intoxicating liquor during an event, you can apply for an Occasional Liquor Licence Permit. Applications for these licences are made under Section 20 of the Ordinance and you are advised to read this section of the Ordinance. The person who will be in charge of the licence during this event will need to attend Court. The Court sits every Tuesday morning at 9.30am. To apply, please complete the online form  with a supporting letter for the organisation represented.
  • Liquor Licensing exams

    • The Office of the Committee for Home Affairs, the Guernsey Police and the Courts expect anybody working in the licensed trade to have a good understanding of liquor licensing legislation.
    • Anybody who holds or makes an application to hold a Liquor Licence must have passed the Drug and Alcohol Strategy liquor licensing examination. Therefore, any person wishing to hold a licence should make arrangements to sit the exam prior to attending the Royal Court.
    • The preparation for the examination is to be done by every individual using the presentation, the Liquor Licensing Ordinance 2006 Quick Guide (also available in Latvian, Polish and Portuguese), the Training Manual and the Liquor Licensing Ordinance 2006.
    • The examinations are every last Wednesday of the month and start at 1pm and are held at Sir Charles Frossard House, La Charroterie, St Peter Port (unless stated otherwise)
    • Forthcoming examination dates are:
      • Wednesday 29 August
      • Wednesday 26 September
      • Wednesday 31 October
      • Wednesday 28 November
      • Wednesday 12 December
    • Candidates must pre-book their space on the exam  online or through the Business Support Assistant on tel: 717371 or
    • There is a £15 fee. Following the attendance to the sessions, the Office of the Committee for Home Affairs will issue invoices to the concerned premises.
    • There is an expectation that people seeking to pass the exam will have read all the documents and made themselves familiar with the legislation.
  • Al Fresco Licences

    • Al Fresco licences allow cafés, restaurants and bars serving meals to provide outside service to tables on the pavement (where the pavement is wide enough to accommodate the tables and chairs and allow pedestrians to pass safely).
    • If permission is being sought to provide tables and chairs outside a premises, and this will involve using part of the pavement area, an application for an 'Al Fresco Licence' should be made. Al Fresco Licences are granted under the provisions of the Public Highways (Temporary Closure) Ordinance, 1999, as amended.
    • All al fresco areas must be clearly marked either by using some form of barrier (e.g. a rope barrier or planters) or by clear markings on the pavement. If permission is granted, the tables and chairs must be confined to the designated area.
    • Where the premises seeking an Al Fresco Licence wishes to allow persons aged under 18 to use the al fresco facilities, it will be necessary to satisfy the Court that the consumption of alcohol can be properly supervised.
    • The application process is made through an advocate. The  Office of the Committee for Home Affairs advises any prospective applicant to make contact with the Office of the Committee for the Environment Infrastructure (Planning and Traffic divisions) to ensure that they will be in favour of the application. The applicant should also contact the Constables of the Parish in which the premises are located to advise that the application is being made so that the Constables may give comment as they see appropriate.
  • Application Forms






Share this page

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.