The States has agreed to hold a multi-option referendum on the method of electing People's Deputies to the States of Deliberation.
The referendum will be held on Wednesday 10th October, 2018.
The story so far ...
- In June 2017, the States agreed to hold a multi-option referendum on the method of electing People's Deputies to the States of Deliberation.
- The referendum will be held on Wednesday 10th October 2018 and voters will be asked to rank one or more of the five options according to their preference for how People's Deputies will be elected in the future.
- For details of the five options click here Referendum of Guernsey's Electoral System - the five options [484kb].
'How to vote' video
- In advance of the referendum on Guernsey's voting system on Wednesday 10th October, 2018, the States' Assembly & Constitution Committee has released a video explaining how to vote in the referendum.
- The video explains how to vote using the example of a class of schoolchildren deciding what colour to paint their classroom door. The children have five colours to choose from: grey, green, red, blue and yellow. The children then rank the colour they want their door painted in order of their favourite colours. The video also provides a brief overview of how the votes will be counted and some 'top tips' for the viewer on voting in the referendum.
The Electoral System Referendum (Guernsey) Law, 2018
- The Electoral System Referendum (Guernsey) Law, 2018 and the Electoral System Referendum (Referendum Period) Regulations, 2018 came into force on Monday 11th June 2018. The legislation can be found on the Guernsey Legal Resources website - www.guernseylegalresources.gg.
- This means that the referendum period has officially commenced and so the general restriction on referendum expenses set out in section 17 of the Law come into effect. Therefore, no individual or body, other than the Campaign Groups which may be appointed by the States Assembly & Constitution Committee under section 10 of the Law, may incur any expense in relation to the referendum in excess of £100.
- The States' Assembly & Constitution Committee has appointed three campaign groups:
Option Nominated Official 1 Nominated Official 2 Option A Deputy Carl Meerveld Deputy Peter Ferbrache Option B Mr Fergus Dunlop Mrs Caroline McManus Option C Deputy John Gollop Mr Rhoderick Matthew
Registering to vote
- Anyone who is currently enrolled (and whose name or address has not changed since enrolment) is eligible to vote in the referendum. If you are not on the Electoral Roll, it is possible to register by completing the following form:
- Electoral Roll Registration Form [214kb] or by e-mailing your details to firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking on this link and completing the e-form.
- To be eligible to vote you must:
- (a) Be 15 years of age or older (although you can't vote until you're 16); and
- (b) Be ordinarily resident in Guernsey; and
- (c) Have been ordinarily resident in Guernsey for the last two years consecutively or for a total of five years at any time.
- Please note there are no nationality restrictions surrounding registration on the Electoral Roll.
- Further information regarding elections and voting can be found on www.gov.gg/elections.
Registering for a postal vote
- If you are going to be away, or unable to get to a polling station, or if you prefer to vote when it is convenient for you, you may register for a postal vote using this link.
- Please note, the postal vote ballot papers are unlikely to be available for posting until 10 September 2018. Therefore, if you are away from Guernsey prior to this date, you should include the address to which you wish the ballot paper to be sent.
Propositions, policy letters and legislation to date
Billet D'État Date Policy Letter / Legislation Reference Number TBC TBC The Electoral System Referendum (Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations, 2018 n/a XX 26.09.2018 The Electoral System Referendum (Availability of Electoral Roll) Regulations, 2018 n/a VIII 18.07.2018 The Electoral System Referendum (Referendum Period) Regulations, 2018 n/a XVI 06.06.2018 The Electoral System Referendum (Guernsey) Law, 2018 (Commencement) Ordinance, 2018 P.2018/43 XI 18.04.2018 Referendum on Guernsey's Voting System - Campaign Group Assessments Panel P.2018/26 V 07.02.2018 The Electoral System Referendum (Guernsey) Law, 2018 P.2017/127 XXI 08.11.2017 Referendum on Guernsey's Voting System - Voter Turnout P.2017/88 XIV 21.06.2017 Referendum on Guernsey's Voting System P.2017/49