The States has agreed to hold a multi-option referendum on the method of electing People's Deputies to the States of Deliberation.
The referendum will be held on Wednesday 10th October, 2018.
Applying to be a campaign group: online application
- Applications can be submitted online at www.gov.gg/referendumform.
- A MS Word version of the application form is available to download at the top right of this page or by clicking on the following link: Application Form to register as a Campaign Group (MS Word) [38kb]
Guidance notes for prospective campaign groups
- The States' Assembly & Constitution Committee has produced a guidance note for individuals or groups who want to know how to apply to be a campaign group in the lead up to the referendum on the method of electing People's Deputies to the States of Deliberation. This is available to download at the top right of this page or by clicking on the following link: Applying to be a Campaign Group - Guidance Note [498kb].
- A guidance note has also been produced for campaign groups who want to know about the rules relating to referendum expenses at the referendum on Guernsey's electoral system. This is available to download at the top right of this page or by clicking on the following link: Referendum expenses - Guidance Note for Campaign Groups [430kb]
- The States' Assembly & Constitution Committee has also produced a list of FAQs for those considering applying to be a campaign group. The FAQs includes the questions asked at the public meeting and others which have been asked since. The FAQs will be updated as further questions are asked.
Forming a campaign group: expressions of interest
- If individuals or groups want their interest in forming or joining a campaign group to represent an option published on this page, they are asked to e-mail the Lead Referendum Officer, Ms E Dene at firstname.lastname@example.org and the table below will be updated.
Date Option Name(s) 24.04.2018 Option B Mr Roy Bisson 01.05.2018 Option E Mrs Lisa Vahey 15.05.2018 Option B Mrs Caroline McManus
Registering to vote
- Anyone who is currently enrolled (and whose name or address has not changed since enrolment) is eligible to vote in the referendum. If you are not on the Electoral Roll, it is possible to register by completing the following form:
- Electoral Roll Registration Form [214kb] or by e-mailing your details to email@example.com.
- To be eligible to vote you must:
- (a) Be 15 years of age or older (although you can't vote until you're 16); and
- (b) Be ordinarily resident in Guernsey; and
- (c) Have been ordinarily resident in Guernsey for the last two years consecutively or for a total of five years at any time.
- Please note there are no nationality restrictions surrounding registration on the Electoral Roll.
- Further information regarding elections and voting can be found on www.gov.gg/elections.
Public Meeting on campaign groups on Monday 16th April 2018
- A meeting was held on Monday 16th April, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. at The Princess Royal Centre for the Performing Arts to provide further information regarding the role of campaign groups in the referendum.
- The purpose of this meeting was to provide interested individuals and groups the opportunity to ask the States' Assembly & Constitution Committee questions regarding the role of the groups and provided an opportunity for people who are interested in representing an option to meet.
- In advance of this meeting, the Committee published a guidance note "Applying to be a campaign group", available to download at the top right of this page, which provides an overview of the application process and what information will be requested from prospective groups as part of their application.
- The meeting was livestreamed via the States of Guernsey Facebook page, www.facebook.com/govgg.
- The presentation given at the event on 16th April 2018 can be accessed in the 'Downloads' section or by clicking on the following link: Referendum expenses - Guidance Note for Campaign Groups [430kb]
- The press release relating to this event can be read in the 'Downloads' section or by clicking on the following link: Press Release - Public meeting on 16th April 2018 [391kb]
Propositions and policy letters to date
Billet D'État Date Policy Letter / Legislation Reference Number XI 18.04.2018 Referendum on Guernsey's Voting System - Campaign Group Assessments Panel P.2018/26 V 07.02.2018 The Electoral System Referendum (Guernsey) Law, 2018 P.2017/127 XXI 08.11.2017 Referendum on Guernsey's Voting System - Voter Turnout P.2017/88 XIV 21.06.2017 Referendum on Guernsey's Voting System P.2017/49