Information and public services for the Island of Guernsey



From Star Wars to ghost tours
Monday 16 October 2017

There is a supernatural theme to October half term at Guernsey Museums this year.

Read more
Asian hornet nest found near the Longfrie Inn
Friday 13 October 2017

An Asian hornet nest has been found today near the Longfrie Inn in St Peter's.

Read more
P&R President welcomes UK response to Justice Committee report
Friday 13 October 2017

The UK Government has today published its response to the House of Common Justice Committee's report entitled "the implications of Brexit for the Crown Dependencies", which emphasised the need for the UK Government to ensure it represents the interests of the islands in Brexit negotiations.

Read more All News
Coming soon – a map of events, hazards and other useful information
weather iconFair periods. Becoming cloudy after midnight with a little rain or drizzle by morning.
5 day forecastTide timetables


C Liberation Jersey 16:30 16:31A 


Commodore Clipper Portsmouth 22:35  
All arrivals and departures Shipping forecast


Aurigny20:502017-10-17ManchesterGR679Approx 2050


Flybe18:452017-10-17SouthamptonBE6346Check In Open ,Go To Departure Lounge
All arrivals and departures
Sign In

Unemployment benefit

Contact Us - Social Security Contact Us - Unemployment Benefit

Share this page

Unemployment benefit is a cash benefit paid to unemployed people who are trying to find work with an employer. To receive unemployment benefit you must be unemployed and available to work for at least 4 days in any week.

You will also need to show that you meet two other requirements that relate to your social insurance contributions record:

  1. You need to have made at least 26 social insurance contributions payments as an employed person in Guernsey, at any time in your working life.
  2. You also need to have made at least 26 contributions payments as an employed person or have received contribution credits as an employed person during the relevant contribution year.

As well as these contributions requirements, you will need to hold a valid Right to Work document before you can receive unemployment benefit. More information about how you can get a Right to Work document is provided on the Right to Work page in the downloads section.

  • What is a 'relevant contribution year'

    • If you are claiming unemployment benefit in the first six months of any year, the relevant contribution year on which the amount of benefit is based is the calendar year of two years before. If you are claiming unemployment benefit in the second six months of any year, the relevant contribution year is one year before.
  • How much will I get?

    • The amount of unemployment benefit you will get depends on your contribution record. The full rate of unemployment benefit is provided for your information in the Benefits and Contributions leaflet in the downloads section of this page.
  • How do I claim unemployment benefit?

    • As soon as you become unemployed you should call into the Job Centre at Social Security if you live in Guernsey, or the States Office if you live in Alderney. An appointment will be made for you to make your claim and you will be told what you need to bring with you to that appointment.
    • You should claim as soon as you become unemployed. If you do not claim straightaway, you would not usually receive unemployment benefit for any of the days before you first registered at the Job Centre or Alderney States Office.
  • I am self-employed, can I claim unemployment benefit?

    • Generally, contributions paid as a self-employed person do not count for unemployment benefit which would mean that you could not receive unemployment benefit as a self-employed person.
    • But, if in any relevant contribution year, you have paid at least 39 social insurance contributions or had contributions credits on your record, then any self-employed or non-employed contributions on your record for the remaining 13 weeks of the year are treated as if they were employed person contributions. This may allow your rate of benefit to be increased.
    • If you have given up your self-employment and are now trying to find work, you should contact the Job Centre without delay.

More detailed information about unemployment benefit, including information for students, trainees and people who have just left college or university, is provided in the Unemployment Benefit leaflet (Leaflet 12) in the downloads section of this page.




Unemployment benefit - leaflet 12

Share this page

Useful Pages

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.