Our shared vision is to work together with parents and each other in the States and private sectors so we can provide the very best education and care for the children in the Bailiwick.
We aim to nurture young children so they are confident, happy and excited to learn. We hope our children will grow up to be caring and productive members of our society.
Children who experience high quality early years provision are well placed to achieve better outcomes throughout their school life and beyond into employment.
Early Years Quality Standards Framework
- All pre-schools and day nurseries work to the Early Years Quality Standards Framework (EYQSF), 2018. A copy of the Framework is available to download here: Early Years Quality Standards Framework. The EYQSF sets out the requirements for all providers and will help to focus on raising and sustaining a consistent quality of early year's experiences for our children and families.
- Pre-school education in the Bailiwick is predominantly provided by the private sector and any children can attend private pre-schools before starting school.
- In Guernsey and Alderney we work to secure an equality of opportunity, to develop a culture of support, reflection and empowerment within the Early Years Sector.
Pre-school Education Fund (PSEF)
- The year before children go to school (Reception year) they are entitled to free, quality, pre-school provision for up to 15 hours per week, 38 weeks a year (term time only), supported by the States of Guernsey.
- This entitlement is being delivered through a partnership with private providers. A list of pre-school and day nurseries who will offer the entitlement can be found here: Pre-school and Day Nurseries
- The Assembly agreed to the funding for the implementation of the entitlement following a debate in November 2015. The proposals were amended with regards to the detail of funding sources and a cap set on entitlement to only those with a joint household income of £150,000 or less. Please look at the Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) for further information.
- Quality measures have been put in place and can be found here: key performance indicators
- Please read a copy of the Parent/Carer leaflet on how to apply for your free pre-school entitlement, you can download the leaflet here: Parent Carer leaflet . A copy of the Parent Declaration Form can be found by following this link: Parent declaration form - free pre-school years funding
Information for pre-schools and day nurseries
- Under this section we have included useful links which pre-schools and day nurseries may require, any other links can be found in the additional information/useful downloads section at the bottom of this page.
Information for Childminders
Information for Parents
Additional Information/useful downloads
Training and Development