Information on the political structure of the States of Guernsey and the responsibilities of each Committee, Board, Commission and Authority.
Guernsey's parliament as a whole is called 'The States of Deliberation'. You can find out more about States meetings/debates here, your Deputies (States Members) here and further details are available in the Blue Book (previously known as the Red Book) [8Mb].
The States of Guernsey is structured into one Senior Committee, six Principal Committees and several other Committees Boards, Authorities and Commissions. More detail is provided below on their responsibilities and which States Members are members of each. You can also select the thumbnail images to find out which services each Committee is responsible for.
Policy & Resources Committee
- Responsible for leadership and co-ordination of the work of the States, including developing and promoting the States' overall policy objectives and leading the policy planning process
President: Deputy Peter Ferbrache Vice-President: Deputy Heidi Soulsby Members: Deputy Mark Helyar Deputy Jonathan Le Tocq Deputy David Mahoney Chief Executive: Paul Whitfield Committee Secretary: Anita Gaudion
Committee for Economic Development
- Responsible for promotion and development of all sectors of business (e.g. tourism, construction, horticulture, retail, digital, manufacturing, finance), securing and promoting air and sea links, competition and regulation, broadcasting and media, living marine resources (e.g. fishing) tourist information centre
President: Deputy Neil Inder Vice-President: Deputy Steve Falla Members: Deputy Sasha Kazantseva-Miller Deputy Nicholas Moakes Deputy Simon Vermeulen Committee Secretary: Nikki Cleal
Committee for Education, Sport & Culture
- Responsible for education, apprenticeships, sport, leisure and recreation, libraries, museums, galleries and heritage, archaeology, the arts, Island archives, civic celebrations including Liberation Day.
President: Deputy Andrea Dudley-Owen Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Susan Aldwell Deputy Andy Cameron Deputy Sam Haskins Deputy Bob Murray Committee Secretary: Esther Ingrouille
Committee for Employment & Social Security
- Responsible for social insurance, pensions, social housing, income support, housing benefit, long-term care insurance, health and safety in the workplace, social inclusion including disability, industrial relations, legal aid.
President: Deputy Peter Roffey Vice-President: Deputy Lindsay de Sausmarez Members: Deputy Tina Bury Deputy Steve Falla Deputy John Gollop Chief Secretary: Malcolm Nutley
Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure
- Responsible for planning appeals, strategic use plan, agriculture, farms, animal imports/exports, states vet, vale common, traffic signs and lines, bus contract, public service vehicles, driving tests, driving licences, vehicle registrations, road closures, road repairs, renewable energy, waste policy, marine policy, water policy, environmental policy, traffic policy and planning policy.
President: Lindsay De Sausmarez Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Andy Cameron Deputy Simon Fairclough Deputy Adrian Gabriel Deputy Sam Haskins Committee Secretary: Peter Falla
Committee for Health & Social Care
- Responsible for adult social care, welfare and protection of children, young people and families, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic diseases, illnesses and conditions, mental health, care of the elderly, health promotion, environmental health, public health, extra care facilities at Le Grand Courtil and La Nouvelle Maraitaine.
President: Deputy Al Brouard Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Tina Bury Deputy Marc Leadbeater Deputy Aidan Matthews Alderney Representative Alex Snowdon Committee Secretary: Nikejshia Moon
Committee for Home Affairs
- Responsible for crime prevention, law enforcement, justice policy, population management office, immigration, prison and probation, fire and rescue, trading standards, data protection, emergency planning, civil defence, lotteries and gambling and electoral roll.
President: Deputy Rob Prow Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Marc Leadbeater Deputy Chris Le Tissier Deputy Andrew Taylor Deputy Simon Vermeulen Committee Secretary: Vicky Lajoie
Authorities, Boards and Commissions:
Development & Planning Authority
- Responsible for planning applications, building control, protected buildings, protected trees, Island Development Plan, conservation and design and planning policy.
President: Deputy Victoria Oliver Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy John Dyke Deputy Sasha Kazantseva-Miller Deputy Chris Le Tissier Deputy Andrew Taylor Director of Planning: Jim Rowles
Transport Licensing Authority
Overseas Aid & Development Commission
- Distribution of grants and emergency and disaster relief overseas.
President: Deputy Chris Blin Members: Miss Judy Moore, Mr Philip Bodman, Ms Teresa de Nobrega, Dr Nick Paluch, Mr Bryan Pill and Mrs Maragaret McGuinness Secretary: Liz Dene
States' Trading Supervisory Board
- Responsible for waste disposal, Guernsey and Alderney Airports, Guernsey Dairy, Guernsey Harbours, Guernsey Water, States Works, CI lottery
President: Deputy Peter Roffey Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Charles Parkinson Deputy Nicholas Moakes Non-States Members: Stuart Falla, John Hollis Managing Director: Simon Elliott
States Assembly & Constitution Committee
- Review procedures in connection with the Island's Constitution and Government.
President: Deputy Carl Meerveld Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Simon Fairclough Deputy John Gollop Deputy Liam McKenna Deputy Lester Queripel Principal Officer: Christine Foster
Scrutiny Management Committee
- To lead and co-ordinate the scrutiny of committees of the States by reviewing and examining legislation, policies, services and the use of monies and other resources for which committees are responsible.
President: Deputy Yvonne Burford Vice-President: Vacant (To be filled at the first Meeting of the Committee) Members: Deputy Simon Fairclough Deputy John Dyke Principal Officer: Mark Huntington
Civil Contingencies Authority
- Security and wellbeing in an emergency.
- President of the Policy & Resources Committee, who is the Chairman of the Authority;
- President of the Committee for the Environment & Infrastructure;
- President of the Committee for Health & Social Care;
- President of the Committee for Home Affairs.
- Emergency Planning Officer: Kevin Murphy