Thousands of Islanders have successfully trained for rewarding careers through the Apprenticeship Scheme.
The Scheme has been in existence for almost 70 years and is still viewed by many people both in industry and education as one of the best youth training systems in Europe.
As a result of extensive consultation with our partners over the last two years, exciting developments are happening to apprenticeships across the Bailiwick. Further information for current employers who are working with the College of Further Education, under the Apprenticeship Scheme, can be found here.
What does the scheme offer?
- The Apprenticeship Scheme allows people to earn a wage at the same time as gaining qualifications relating to their job. If you are the type of person who doesn't want to be sitting in a classroom all day every day but still wants to get some qualifications - an Apprenticeship could be for you.
- Apprentices spend the majority of their working week training on the job with their employer and in most trades they will also spend a day a week (and often an evening as well) at the Guernsey College of Further Education on a practical training course.
- Around 300 employers are currently registered with the Apprenticeship Scheme providing training for around 25 different trades.
- At any one time, there are usually between 300 and 400 apprentices in training - which means that around a quarter of young people who leave school aged 15 or 16 go into an apprenticeship.
What apprenticeships are currently available?
- Apprenticeships are currently available on-island in the current areas:
- Plumbing & Heating
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Electrical Installations
- Trowel Trades/Stone-masonry
- Painting & Decorating
- Built Environment
- Welding & Fabrication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Motor Vehicle Engineering
- Hospitality & Catering (Chef)
- Work-based Horticulture
- Apprenticeships are currently available off-island in the current areas:
- Panel Beating & Paint Spraying
Who can apply for an Apprenticeship?
- Anyone in full-time employment, over the age of 16, is able to apply for an Apprenticeship. Enrolments can be made at any time of the year with most courses commencing in September.
- Qualifications required will depend on the sector that you wish to work in. Please contact the relevant team to ascertain the entry requirements for your chosen Apprenticeship.
70th Anniversary Celebrations
- 2019 marks the 70th anniversary of Apprenticeship provision in the Bailiwick, with the first Apprenticeship Scheme having been approved by the States on 14 December 1949. The Guernsey College of Further Education would like to invite anyone who has completed an Apprenticeship to join in with the celebrations.
- In order to mark the significant contribution apprentices and the Apprenticeship Scheme have made to our community, a year of celebration is planned. There are a number of events taking place through the year including a celebratory event and an exhibition. The College is looking for 70 people, who started their careers as an Apprentice in the Bailiwick, to represent the alumni.
- If you were an apprentice and would like to be part of the 70th anniversary celebrations, please contact the Apprenticeship team on 01481 227500 or email@example.com if you would like to be involved.
Further information about the Apprenticeship provision is available on the College of Further Education website.