Poultry includes domestic fowl, ducks, geese, turkeys, and guinea fowl.
An import licence is required to import poultry into Guernsey except in certain circumstances detailed below.
Importing Poultry from Alderney, Sark and Jersey
- Poultry can be imported into Guernsey from Alderney, Sark and Jersey without a licence subject to the following conditions:
- the bird was born in, and has remained continuously since birth in Alderney, Sark or Jersey, was imported into one of those Islands from Guernsey and is being re- exported to Guernsey, and
- Alderney, Sark or Jersey is not subject to restrictions in relation to Newcastle Disease or Avian Influenza.
Importing Poultry from the United Kingdom
- A licence from the Agriculture, Countryside and Land Management Services is required to import poultry from the United Kingdom and it is a condition of a licence that birds must be fit to travel and free from any clinical signs of infectious disease. In order to import poultry into Guernsey, you will need to submit a completed import application form at least 10 working days before your intended day of import to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Importing Hatching Eggs of Poultry from the Channel Islands and the United Kingdom.
- There is no requirement for a licence to import hatching eggs into Guernsey from the UK. However each consignment must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate that states that no outbreak of fowl pest has occurred on the premises on which the eggs were produced or at any place within a radius of three miles of those premises during the two months immediately preceding the date of dispatch of the eggs.
- Certificates must be signed and dated no more than 7 days before the date of dispatch.
Other Imports of Poultry and Hatching Eggs
- In any other circumstances, poultry cannot be imported into Guernsey without an import licence issued by the Agriculture, Countryside and Land Management Services. A licence may have conditions on health requirements, which may include isolation before dispatch to Guernsey and tests. Follow this link for an application form.
- Contact us for more information.
- The cost of complying with any health requirements must be met by the importer.