Information and public services for the Island of Guernsey



New law to ensure duty payable on all real property transfers
Wednesday 18 October 2017

Royal Sanction has been granted in respect of the Document Duty (Guernsey) Law, 2017 and the Document Duty (Anti-Avoidance) (Guernsey) Law, 2017.

Read more
From Star Wars to ghost tours
Monday 16 October 2017

There is a supernatural theme to October half term at Guernsey Museums this year.

Read more
Asian hornet nest found near the Longfrie Inn
Friday 13 October 2017

An Asian hornet nest has been found today near the Longfrie Inn in St Peter's.

Read more All News
Coming soon – a map of events, hazards and other useful information
weather iconRather cloudy with occasional rain until late morning, then sunny periods developing. Becoming cloudy with outbreaks of rain by mid afternoon, heavy at times, clearing to fair periods and isolated showers overnight.
5 day forecastTide timetables


C Liberation Poole 14:30 13:00E 


C Rapide Jsy/St Malo 14:00  
All arrivals and departures Shipping forecast


Aurigny11:102017-10-19GatwickGR603Approx 1140


Flybe12:402017-10-19JerseyBE6418Check In Open ,Go To Departure Lounge
All arrivals and departures
Sign In

Catchment Areas

Share this page

Primary Schools in Guernsey accept children from a specific area of the Island known as the school's catchment area. Your child will normally attend the school in the catchment area where you live. If your child is not selected for a place at the Grammar School or one of the grant-aided Colleges then they will transfer to the High School which serves your catchment area at the age of 11.

The States on-line mapping service, Digimap, provides simple maps showing the Primary and Secondary catchment areas. These maps can be accessed using the external links below. Just type in your postcode and it will indicate your school catchment area.

Primary age pupils in Alderney attend St Anne's School. There is also a small school on the Island of Herm. Sark School falls outside of the States of Guernsey's control.

Requests for an out of catchment placement are considered but are only granted in a limited number of circumstances according to specific criteria.

A copy of the School Admissions Policy and the circumstances in which an out of catchment placement may be agreed are available to download below.

Information about how to appeal against a decision not to grant an out of catchment request is also available below.

Moving House/Changing Address - which school should my child attend?


  • Pupils due to Start in Reception or Currently Registered in Year 6

    • If a child registered for Reception or currently within Year 6 changes address and subsequently moves into a different catchment area, before being formally notified (by the States of Guernsey) of his/her school placement, the child must be re-registered at his/her new catchment school.
    • If a child registered for Reception or currently within Year 6 changes address and subsequently moves into a different catchment area, after being formally notified (by the States of Guernsey) of his/her school placement, the child may attend the school as notified on his/her formal confirmation letter (issued by the States of Guernsey School Admissions team) or request a place at the catchment school for his/her new address, which will be granted if space is available.
  • Pupils Currently Registered in Years 1 to 5 or Years 7 to 11

    • When a child's home address changes and subsequently the catchment area the child resides in differs to that of their previous address, parents/carers have three options available to them;
    • 1) Submit a request for the child to continue attending the school at which they are currently registered or;
    • 2) Submit a request for the child to transfer into their actual catchment school, based on the new address,
    • 3) Submit no request, in which case the States of Guernsey will, in its absolute discretion, consider the most appropriate placement of the child.


Requests should be made in writing addressed to the Administration and Procurement Manager (contact details below), and should be accompanied by a photocopied proof of address (e.g. utilities bill from within the last 3months).  In the absence of a utility bill, we will require a copy of either a tenancy agreement or a court document confirming proof of ownership of a property.


School Admissions Policy Primary and Secondary 2017-18 The circumstances in which a PC-OCAS request may be agreed The circumstances in which an ES-OCAS placement may be contested PC-OCAS Request Form School Admission Appeals School Transfer Form

Share this page

Useful Links

Write to us:
Administration & Procurement Manager

Sir Charles Frossard House,  La Charroterie,  St Peter Port,  Guernsey,  GY1 1FH

Email us:

Call us:
01481 733000

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.