General Elections are held in Guernsey every four years to appoint Members to the States of Deliberation. The last election was held on 27th April 2016.
- For the purposes of an Election, the Island is divided into seven Electoral Districts. The Districts are drawn along the lines of the parish boundaries, but were set to ensure that every person has similar political representation. This means that smaller parishes, such as Torteval, Forest, St. Saviour and St. Pierre du Bois together form the Electoral District of the West whereas St Peter Port is split into two Electoral Districts, St Peter Port North and St Peter Port South.
- Follow this link to view the districts: http://maps.digimap.gg/gsyvotingdistricts.htm
- Before you can vote in Guernsey elections, you need to register to vote. It is possible to register by completing the form available for download on this page, or by emailing your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To be eligible to register to vote, you must-
- Be 15 years of age or older (although you can't vote until you're 16)
- Be ordinarily resident in Guernsey
- Have been ordinarily resident in Guernsey for the last two years consecutively or for a total of five years at any time.
- There are no nationality restrictions surrounding registration on the Electoral Roll.
- With effect from the 1st May 2016, 38 Deputies will be elected to to sit in and represent the populations of Guernsey, Herm and Jethou from seven Electoral Districts . Each District elects five or six Deputies depending on their size. As a voter, you do not need to use all five or six votes if you do not want to.
- Any person on the Electoral Roll for a particular District may vote at any polling station in that District or may choose to vote by post.
- In Guernsey, the details on the Electoral Roll are not supplied to credit reference agencies. To prove that you are one the Electoral Roll, you may request confirmation of your registration from the Electoral Roll Office by completing the form available for download on this page.
Results of the election on 27th April 2016