The Guernsey Music Centre is operated and run by the Guernsey Music Service. The Guernsey Music Service was established in 1978 and now supports more than 700 young musicians offering both individual and group lessons.
The Guernsey Music Service - who we are
- The Guernsey Music Service complements and enriches the music curriculum offered by schools and colleges. As well as teaching musical skills it aims to develop qualities such as confidence, self-discipline and self-criticism and for pupils to understand the importance of reliability and teamwork through their music-making. It works closely with schools, colleges and music groups on the Island, such as the Guernsey Symphony Orchestra, Guernsey Camerata and the Elizabeth College Orchestral Course (ECSOC).
What we do
- The Service provides:
- Instrumental lessons on orchestral and band instruments, and singing lessons for pupils in schools
- Music-making opportunities at Music Centre
- Opportunities for pupils to attend concerts by its own staff and those organised through the Channel Islands Music Council
How we do it
- The Service invites parents to apply for instrumental lessons on behalf of their children. Because of the high demand for lessons, pupils are assessed and lessons offered to those who show most potential and continuing commitment.
- The Head of Vocal Studies gives vocal training to senior instrumental students who show particular promise as singers in Music Centre choirs.
- Music Centre caters for the Island's young musicians, including pupils who are taught privately. As it is an integral part of their musical tuition, attendance at Music Centre is compulsory for all Music Service instrumental pupils.
- The Service operates an instrument loan facility for its students and a library of sheet music for Music Centre and other Island ensembles.
- The Head of Service is a member of the Channel Islands Music Council which organises high quality public and education concerts. In Guernsey, most of these take place at St James Concert Hall.
- The Service is greatly assisted by the Friends of Guernsey Music Centre (FGMC) who raise funds for instrument purchase and trips abroad, and provide practical help at concerts and Open Mornings. It also gratefully acknowledges sponsorship from Bank of Butterfield, BWCI and Intertrust.
The Music Centre is open to all children in the Bailiwick of Guernsey. It aims to provide:
- enjoyable music-making opportunities which are carefully matched to students' abilities in order that they can realise their potential and achieve excellence
- opportunities for students to make a positive contribution and to develop confidence, self-discipline and self-criticism
- opportunities for students to understand the importance of reliability and teamwork through their music-making.
Music Centre currently comprises a range of groups including:
- Primary Groups for beginner pupils
- Wind Bands
- Jazz Orchestras
- Various chamber groups e.g. string quartets and Saxophone Ensemble
- Aural and theory lessons
Entry to the senior groups is by audition.
The Music Centre's prospectus can be downloaded from this page.