Here is a list of frequently asked questions from UK and Overseas applicants.
Please select the relevant question below or, if you cannot find the information you are looking for please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com
General information regarding applying to the States of Guernsey can be found here.
Where can I find more information about Guernsey?
- There are a number of ways to find out more about Guernsey. The place to start is our main tourist board information site www.visitguernsey.com.
- For information about moving to the Island visit www.locateguernsey.com. Although primarily aimed at business owners the 'your home' and 'your life' sections offer a wide range of information on everything from tax to education. Plenty of information can also be found here at www.gov.gg.
- www.guernseypress.com is the website of our local daily newspaper and, alongside news, contains information on events, local organisations and has a large classified section where you can get find details of the local property market.
- If you would like to hear directly from local people about what it's like to live in Guernsey simply enter #loveguernsey into any social media site or search engine for a look at the best that Guernsey has to offer.
Who can live and work in Guernsey?
- Guernsey has a restricted Housing Market that protects local residents and controls population levels. The States of Guernsey grants employment-related housing licences which enable employers to recruit staff who are not resident in Guernsey. The licences permit staff whose skills are in short supply in Guernsey, or are otherwise deemed essential, to buy or rent Local Market accommodation.
- The licences most commonly come as five years, seven years, or fifteen years and cover the employee's spouse / partner and children.
- Residence in staff accommodation is not time limited.
- Non-residents are also able to live in Open Market accommodation or co-habit with a partner / spouse.
- Our job adverts will always provide information regarding the essential housing licence that is attached to the post.
- If you have any questions about Guernsey's housing law or wish to discuss your individual circumstances please contact Housing Control on 01481 715790 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I transfer my NHS / Teaching pension?
- Yes. If you are currently paying into a teachers or NHS pension scheme you will be able to transfer your accrued benefits into the States of Guernsey pension.
- If you have any queries regarding the States of Guernsey pension scheme please contact our Pensions Team on 01481 747382 or email at email@example.com .
Do you offer a 'relocation allowance'?
- Yes. A generous relocation package is available to people who are moving to Guernsey to start employment with the States of Guernsey. This includes a house hunting visit, removal expenses, assistance with the cost of inbound travel, rental allowance / subsidised accommodation and, where individuals are selling a property in order to move to Guernsey, a house purchase grant.
- All payments / allowances relating to Relocation are subject to terms and conditions and will vary depending on the role applied for and personal circumstance. Please read our Relocation Directive (available to download) for further information please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on tel. 01481 747394
Will you pay for my travel to attend interview?
- Yes. We cover the travel and accommodation costs for individuals attending interview in Guernsey. If you are shortlisted for interview you will receive an invite containing full instructions for booking travel and details of the available allowances.
- Please note that all travel is booked via our travel service and is billed directly to the States of Guernsey.
I have a question about applying / a submitted application / my appointment
- If you require further information regarding a vacancy that you have seen advertised please contact the individual named in the advert.
- For all other enquires please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or on tel. 01481 747394
I want to give feedback regarding the application process
- If you wish to give more detailed feedback about your experience of our online application system, or applying for the States of Guernsey in general, please complete the following survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/StatesofGuernseyerecruitment