The official website for the States of Guernsey


St Peter Port & St Sampson
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag

All Other Parishes
Blue Bag
Clear Bag
Food Waste
Black Bag
Glass Bag
More Information
weather iconSunny periods but the odd shower likely.
5 day forecastTide timetables
Sign In

**Please read first: About Certificates and Permits**

Contact Us - Population Management

Share this page


  • What is a Certificate or Permit?

    • A Certificate or Permit confirms a person's right to live and work in Guernsey and will show any conditions that apply.
    • Under the previous Housing Control Law people held Housing Licences or Declarations of Lawful Residence which were often referred to as 'Right to Work' documents.
    • A person can hold a Permit based on either their personal or employment circumstances. A person can hold a Certificate based on their personal circumstances only.
  • About Certificates and Permits based on personal circumstances

    • These are not associated with a person's employment but usually allow a person to undertake any employment in Guernsey. The holder of a Certificate or Permit based on their personal circumstances will often have a strong family connection to Guernsey.
    • Some Permits enable a person to be a householder and to accommodate their family whereas other Permits are conditional on the holder either living with a named person (for example as an immediate family member of a householder) or in a certain category of housing (for example as the lodger in an Open Market Part A Private Family Home).
    • A person who holds a Certificate is able to be a householder and accommodate their family members and other Permit holders who are required to be accommodated by a householder.
  • About Employment Permits

  • Who needs one?

    • Everyone who lives in Guernsey and is aged 16 and over needs to hold a Certificate or Permit. If a person who is under 16 years old wishes to work, they will need to apply for a Certificate or Permit.
    • To apply for a Certificate or Permit, you need to register for an online account on our website here.
    • Click here to find out what type of Certificate or Permit you may need.
    • Click here to visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Share this page

Useful Pages

Useful Links

Add To Home

To add this page to the homescreen of your phone, go to the menu button and "Add to homescreen".

The menu button may look like
Three Dots or Box with an Arrow *some browsers' menu buttons may vary.