Here is a list of frequently asked questions about applying for a position with the States of Guernsey.
Please select the relevant question below or, if you cannot find the information you are looking for please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com
Specific information regarding UK and Overseas applicants can be found here.
How do I apply for a job with the States of Guernsey?
- You can apply for all States of Guernsey vacancies via our online recruitment system. When you first sign in you will be asked to create a profile. Once created you can update the profile as needed and it will remain in the system for you to use for future applications.
- Our online recruitment system also makes it easy to browse current vacancies and has a search function that can be used for finding specific roles. In addition you can set up 'Job Alerts' to keep up to date with new vacancies and each role can be shared via email.
- Each vacancy listed on our site contains a basic summary of the role along with salary, contact and closing date information, a full job description and details of the pre-employment checks that are required for that particular role.
- When you find a vacancy that you wish to apply for, we recommend that you contact the person named in the advert to discuss the role and find out more about the service and team that you will be applying to.
Do I have to apply online?
- No. Although we encourage all applicants to apply online, we appreciate that there will be times where it may not be possible and we do not feel that that this should stop someone applying for a role with the States of Guernsey.
- If you are unable to complete an online application please contact the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on tel. 01481 747394
What are 'Key Criteria'?
- Every States of Guernsey post has it's own Key Criteria. This is a collection of competencies, skills, qualifications, experiences and attitudes that we feel are either essential or desirable to carry out that role. The Key Criteria will be listed on the job description and applications should demonstrate, with examples where possible, how an applicant meets them.
- You will be prompted to provide relevant supporting information when you make your application.
How will I be contacted about the progress of my application?
- Where possible, applicants will be contacted via email.
- When completing your application please make sure that you provide an email address that you use regularly. If you are applying via a paper application please ensure that the email address is clear and legible.
- If you do not have an email address you will be contacted via letter or telephone.
I've been offered a job, what happens now?
- Following your acceptance of an offer of employment you will receive written confirmation of that offer. This will include confirmation of the pre-employment checks that will need to be completed before you start work.
- When we are happy that all the checks have been satisfactorily completed you will be sent a confirmation letter and contract of employment. These documents will detail the items needed for payroll purposes and where and when to report on your first day.
What are pre-employment checks?
- Pre-employment checks allow us to ensure that the applicants we have selected are suitable for States of Guernsey employment and would not represent a risk to themselves, colleagues, service users and members of the public.
- Pre-employment checks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health Check
- Basic Police Check
- Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check
- Confirmation of specialist qualifications / professional registrations
- Some of our services also have special requirements such as fitness tests and enhanced security vetting.
- Pre-employment checks will always be listed on the job posting on our website and in any letters confirming our offer of employment..
I have a question about applying / a submitted application / my appointment
- If you require further information regarding a vacancy that you have seen advertised please contact the individual named in the advert.
- For all other enquires please contact the Recruitment Team at email@example.com or on tel. 01481 747394
I want to give feedback regarding the application process
- If you wish to give more detailed feedback about your experience of our online application system, or applying for the States of Guernsey in general, please complete the following survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/StatesofGuernseyerecruitment