The survey gathers anonymised information on the goods and services bought by people who live in Guernsey, in order to find out the average cost of living here.
The Household Expenditure Survey took place over the 12 months from May 2018 to the end of April 2019. Over 1,000 households took part and the data collected is now being processed.
In 2020, the results of the survey will be used to update Retail Prices Index (RPI) basket, to ensure it remains accurate and representative of what people in Guernsey spend their money on (see www.gov.gg/rpi for the latest figures). Changes in the RPI are used to inform:
- Tax allowances
- Social Security benefit rates
- Pension payments
- Maintenance payments
- Wage negotiations
- Rental price reviews
The results will be published for anyone to access for market or social research (see www.gov.gg/household for the results of the last survey).
Participants were given the choice of a £25 meal voucher (which needs to be used by 1st June 2019) or a prize draw ticket as a thank you for taking part. The winners from the prize draws so far are as follows.
- 1st prize, £500 - ticket number 62
- 2nd prize, £250 - ticket number 117
- 3rd prize, £100 - ticket number 140
- 3 x £50 prizes - ticket numbers 63, 137 and 101
- 1st prize, £500 - ticket number 306
- 2nd prize, £250 - ticket number 49
- 3rd prize, £100 - ticket number 57
- 3 x £50 prizes - ticket numbers 52, 219 and 144
- 1st prize, £500 - ticket number 341
- 2nd prize, £250 - ticket number 146
- 3rd prize, £100 - ticket number 382
- 3 x £50 prizes - ticket numbers 326, 388 and 280
- Winning ticket numbers will be added here after the draw on 31st May
All the information is provided in confidence. Names, addresses and any other identifying information is removed, leaving just the anonymised data which is used to provide grouped statistics, so that no person or household is identifiable in the results. The data is not shared with any other States of Guernsey service or third party. To find out how Data & Analysis process your personal data you can read our Fair Processing Notice [213kb].
If you would like to find out more, call 717188 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to receive an email and/or text notification when the next survey becomes available (or you wish to stop receiving those notifications), please log in or register here.