More than £4 million is spent per year supporting around 700 students studying full-time higher education degree courses outside of the Bailiwick.
Support is through a means-tested grant scheme and dependent on a number of factors including an assessment of gross household income. Grants consist of two elements; living and travel costs (known as a maintenance grant) and tuition fees.
There are three types of award:
- Assessed Award
- Fee Subsidy Only
- Independent Student Bursaries
The guides available on this page provide advice and guidance on applying for a grant, which type of grant to apply for, who is eligible and current fees and allowances.
Application forms are available from around Easter time and if you are at the Grammar School, Elizabeth College or The Ladies' College, you will be able to collect a form directly from your school. If you are at the CFE or have taken a gap year, please contact us to get your form.
Bailiwick students are not entitled to apply for funding from the UK Student Loans Company.
For Assessed Awards and Fee Subsidy Only awards, the closing date for applications is 31st May. We would encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible after you receive it.
For Independent Student Bursaries (please see guide), the closing date is 30th June prior to the commencement of the course. Late applications will not be considered.
If you require further information on funding for higher education courses, please contact a member of the Student Finance team.
Guides for Students:
- Please see the 'Guide to Higher Education Awards' for dependent students looking for support assessed on parental income.
- Please see the 'Guide to Independent Student Bursaries' for students over the age of 25, or those over 22 with more than 3 years full-time employment.
- Please see the 'Guide to Postgraduate Funding' for students who have completed an undergraduate degree and are looking for support towards a Postgraduate course. Please note: this guide is intended to be read in conjunction with the appropriate Dependent or Independent guides. For Dependent students, see the 'Guide to Higher Education Awards.' For Independent students, see the 'Guide to Independent Student Bursaries.'
- Please see the 'Guide to Funding for Approved On-Island Undergraduate Courses' for students looking for support to study with an On-Island approved provider, such as the OU.
- Please see the 'Academic Progress Report Guide' for further information about the Academic Progress Reports which we issue to the institutions for each student.